Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Making a Farmer

I have a city husband and therefore a city daughter.  I love them both dearly - wouldn't trade them for anything - but they are not "farmers" at heart.  YET.  My little girl loves playing outside - so I think there's hope.  She got a sand box for Easter - and spent the first few minutes of it picking the sand out of her toes b/c she wasn't sure about life without shoes.  This concerned me at first - but then I thought about the evidence that she may not be a "city kid" all her life and decided to look for proof and share it with you.

She knows how to throw the frills and bows aside for a good yard working outfit and baseball cap.

She walks fence line and inspects it for broken boards that might let the horses out (though she will not touch the horses).  She also is learning about what kind of care to give the Bermuda grass before the weeds take over this spring. Apparently there are things you can put over the top of it that will kill the weeds and not the grass.  This is nice for her to learn.

After a few minutes in the sand - she adjusted to being dirty and began digging and building things.  This made me feel much better.  At one point she even lay down in the sand.  The bath was extreme that night - but worth it.  I loved seeing her have that much fun.

And last - but not least - she shows interest in heavy equipment!  Papa's lawnmower, Dad's lawn mower and anything to do with talking about a bobcat is right up her alley! YeeHaw... she might be a country girl after all!

No comments: